Sunday, November 21, 2010

A fun activity for your trip to the store

Expository: (An activity to help students and families to take full advantage of their environment)
      This week we are focusing on the letter ‘a’ (insert the letter-s working on). When you go to the store or even around your neighborhood keep your eyes open for anything that starts with an ‘a’ or things that resemble the letter ‘a’. Use the camera I sent home to take pictures of the items you found. Try to find ten items to take pictures of that either begin with ‘a’ or look similar to ‘a’ Bring the camera back to school on Friday. In class, everyone will have a chance to present and talk about what they found. We will plug the digital camera into the computer that is hooked to the projector so the pictures you took will display on the screen so you can explain what you found.
      An example, I was walking to my friend’s house with my dad. She lives on the other side of the park from me. On my way me and my dad found these branches (pointing to the picture she took) lying on the ground that look like a big ‘a’. We also found this apple core lying in the street. We kept walking and found this ant going in to his ant hill. I got to my friend’s house. I took a picture of her because her name is Abby. I took a picture of her cat. His name is Abraham. While we were playing in her room I took a picture of the toy we were playing with, the Barbie airplane. After playing for a while, Abby and I went with her mom to the store. Abby and I found an apricot, asparagus, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, this sign with the word aisle, and the name of the store ‘Albertson’s’.

1 comment:

  1. Brienne,

    This is a fun activity! I would have loved to do this when I was young. :) Students will really become engaged and excited through this great literacy activity!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete